In 2003 the name of Christ the King-St. Thomas the Apostle School was changed to Carondelet Catholic School. The School Advisory Council began its search for a new name in fall 2002, soliciting suggestions from parishioners, parents, students and members of the community.
The name Carondelet was chosen to honor the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet (CSJ), the religious order that first sent sisters to teach at both schools, beginning with St. Thomas the Apostle School in 1925, and later with Christ the King School in 1939. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet were a vitally important part of both schools. The two parishes and schools share common bonds, and this was a significant piece of their histories that they shared.
In 1992 the two South Minneapolis parishes merged their schools into one program. The lower campus, located at St. Thomas the Apostle, houses grades K-2. The upper campus, located at Christ the King, houses grades 3-8. The new name further unites our school community, honors our history, and recognizes those who have given us the gift of Catholic education.
More than 240 Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet have worked at these schools, and the school is rich in their traditions of love of God, love of one another, leadership, service, and thirst for knowledge. The name also reflects the values and mission of the school: welcoming, Catholic, serving, with high academic standards. The story of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet is one of challenge and adaptabiltity. They have a tradition of working for social justice. Carondelet is proud to honor their work and mission with the adoption of the Carondelet name.